In this episode we talk to Immigration Attorney Rebecca Black about I-9 Compliance and how to avoid the costly consequences that could arise from an audit.
After 15 years in the restaurant business and 5 years doing outside sales for a light industrial temporary business, Rebecca realized she was destined to become an immigration attorney. With her MBA and business experience, she started working on business immigration cases and have since represented clients on family as well as business issues in front of the immigration service, prepared asylum cases and represented clients in deporation court.
In this episode you will hear:
- The I-9 form can look deceptively simple
- How a business employing legal workers still received a $40k fine
- My own personal I-9 story
- How I-9 enforcement has stepped up since 9/11/01
- Types of verification documents accepted (A or B and C documents)
- Common mistakes made on the I-9 form
- Common I-9 audit ‘red flags’
Here are the government forms mentioned on this show.
Rebecca also shares with us:
- Best Business Advice: Always check the most recent regulations
- Personal Success Habits: Great work ethic coupled with a lot of energy
- Parting Thoughts: She encourages support for Immigration reform and gives reasons why